Sunday, May 28, 2006

hello again

Wow it's been so long. Shelly and I are back on-line finally. Sorry to anyone who has missed us. Things have been going great for us this spring.
Had some of my favorite in-laws come to visit. We had a great time just hanging out. Hopefully they come back soon!
We've made it out to Il a couple times. Once for Shells to sing at CCC and celebrate my big brother's birthday, and once was for the Maui in May party at the Simkins'. Both trips were unbelievably awesome. It's always great to see friends and fams.
Shelly and I have been really outdoorsy so far this spring hiking and biking alot. She has a curse for getting flat tires though so maybe biking will be a solo venture for me from now on. We're just loving it here. After living out in the desert for just a short time, we are in complete awe of the beauty of all the lush greenery, the lakes, and the animals everywhere. We have compiled a long list of too do's for the summer. A list of activities, sites to see, restaurants to try, and of course bars to visit.
Last night we went to this wine bar that offered what they called "flites" of wine to try. They bring you four small glasses of the same wine variety, but from different vinyards around the world. Shelly went with the reisling flites and settled on the one from Germany (of course). And I had the Shira flite followed by the Pinot flite. My favorite was a pinot from the Russian River. While sipping wine on the front patio lounge, we listened to a great little reggae band perform live. Lots of Marley with some Clapton and even a couple worship tunes. The moment seemed like a dream. The weather, the wine, the mood, the company felt like a dream. It's amazing to me how times like these that were so great that they seemed not real only happened once in a blue moon. But since I've been with Shelly, times like these are happening often for us. We were talking last night about how it feels like we're walking on clouds at this point in our lives. As we close in on our one year one June 10th, I want to say to all the people who warned us that the first year of marriage is the hardest.....I'm sorry for you.
After wine tasting we walked across the street to a theater built in the 50's and saw the movie Lucky Number Slevin (which was awesome). This theater was so cool. It still had all the retro decor. And the popcorn was made with REAL butter, melted one pound at a time they say.
We haven't even scratched the surface of all the stuff we want to do and see this summer. I must say, I have no regrets about being in Bakersfield for that short time. If I could go back, I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. After all, that's where it all started for us and the stuggles we faced ther made us strong as a couple.
But it's such a treat after all that living in a place with such life and possibilities.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

seriously, I always get a flat tire and ruin the day..i think i spend more time walking my bike than riding it....
i love you, my husband, and this has been the best year of my life...all those who said it would be the hardest can shove it....

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not take Shelly over any viaducts on a bike!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Cory said...

Awww, Tony and Shells, that's so great that you've had an awesome first year of marriage. Many more to come. David and I faced a million challenges that first year, and that part was hard, but it was still amazing, and made us a stronger family. Especially when 4 weeks in, we found out we'd be expanding that family:) As long as you get through those hard parts with love as your main priority, you'll be just fine. I'm sorry for the cynics too!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome writing, Brother. I know from talking with you that you had a great first year, but it was illuminating to read more of the details. Here's to more!

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home